Wondering if this brand is right for your pooch? Then check out my detailed Blue Buffalo dog food review (2022).
Blue Buffalo hasn’t been on the market for 20 years, but its name is already known to almost every pet owner. This is no wonder, as the quality of these products rivals that of the larger brands.
Although there have been negative events (recalls and association with heart disease) in Blue Buffalo’s past, today, General Mills Inc. is much more cautious about quality control issues.
I think these diets can be the right choices for any dog. Due to the wide range, you will also be able to find the perfect product for your pooch.
Veterinarians (and I too) suggest that while we have no reason to believe that Blue Buffalo is harmful to canines nonetheless, regular veterinary checks should be followed.
The purpose of my current article is to introduce you to Blue Buffalo dog food in detail and to help you decide if you should buy it for your dog. My experience, my days of research, and my friends at the vet also helped with this. I concluded that Blue Buffalo is an excellent brand. The price may be high for some, but I think it’s tolerable in this quality category.
If you are curious about more details and an overview of the most popular Blue Buffalo product lines, be sure to read on!
About the Brand in brief
Blue Buffalo is headquartered in Wilton, Connecticut. The company’s history doesn’t go far, but since its founding in 2003, Blue has become one of America’s most popular brands in the pet food industry.
The success is due to the fact that the products are made from high-quality ingredients, and all recipes are made with the help of holistic veterinarians and animal nutrition experts. The company proudly claims that it does not use wheat, corn, soy, or artificial additives in its manufacturing.
(By the way, wheat, corn, and soy are not necessarily harmful to dog health. However, many pet owners want to avoid these ingredients when choosing the right dog food. I tend to strive for that myself, as there are much more nutritious alternatives to these carbohydrate sources. Not to mention that many dogs are allergic to these ingredients).
Blue Buffalo offers several product lines from which it is easy to choose the most suitable one, even according to your dog’s individual nutritional needs. There are high-protein, grain-free, or prescription recipes, but you can choose dry or wet foods and puppy or senior formulas as well.
Whatever you’re looking for, you’ll almost certainly find it among Blue’s offerings.
Blue Buffalo vs Other Dog Food Brands
Most experts consider Blue Buffalo to be a very high-quality and competitive brand. So it’s no coincidence that it is often compared to many other dog food brands. Below you will find my Blue Buffalo comparison articles:
- Blue Buffalo vs Blue Wilderness
- Wellness vs Blue Buffalo
- Natural Balance vs Blue Buffalo
- Taste of the Wild vs Blue Buffalo
- Purina Pro Plan vs Blue Buffalo
- Kirkland vs Blue Buffalo
- Purina vs Blue Buffalo
- Royal Canin vs Blue Buffalo
- Blue Buffalo vs Science Diet
Since 2018, Blue Buffalo has been owned by General Mills, Inc. Since then, the company has not received a single recall, which clearly means that quality control has become more stringent. This is important as it allows us to ensure that our dog gets the best possible.
As I mentioned, Blue Buffalo offers several product lines. Real meat or meat meal is listed as a primary ingredient in each.
The most common protein sources are chicken, lamb, beef, rabbit, fish, turkey, and salmon. In many cases, meats can also be found in the form of meals. This is important because meals are great sources of glucosamine and chondroitin. This way, you can be sure that your dog’s joints will be properly supported.
Grain-inclusive foods include wholesome, healthy grains like oatmeal, brown rice, or barley. If your dog is sensitive to these ingredients, grain-free diets are also available from the brand’s offerings. Their main sources of carbohydrates are potatoes, sweet potatoes, or various legumes.
At Blue, they know that healthy fats are essential for the well-being of dogs. After all, omega fatty acids have a positive effect on the whole body.
The most common fat sources are animal fats (e.g., chicken fat or fish oil) and high-quality vegetable oils (flaxseed, canola oil, etc.).
Natural vegetables and fruits can be found in many formulas. These vitamin-, mineral- and antioxidant-rich ingredients are very important for a balanced diet for dogs.
Incidentally, the vitamins and minerals mentioned above can also be found in a blend developed by Blue called LifeSource Bits. LifeSource Bits can be found in most product lines offered by the brand. This will ensure that you have the maximum support for your dog’s immune system.
Blue Buffalo products also contain several valuable ingredients. Examples are fibers or pre-and probiotics. They promote digestive health.
As I mentioned, there are no ingredients in Blue’s Recipes that are harmful or questionable for dogs. That is, there is no wheat, corn, soy, other fillers, or artificial preservatives, dyes, and other additives.
With the quality of the ingredients, the company tries to mimic the ancient diet of dogs. Based on these, I think it’s no wonder the brand has such popularity.
Blue Buffalo brand’s history
The history of Blue Buffalo began with the Bishop family and their dog named Blue. The dog (who was an Airedale Terrier) was diagnosed with cancer.
Mainly because of this, the Bishops began to study the commercial dog foods available on the market. They soon noticed the deficiencies and began to explore the link between diet and health.
From then, their main goal became to produce the healthiest and most nutritious dog food possible. They also enlisted the help of veterinarians and animal nutrition experts.
Blue Buffalo was founded in 2003, so it is a relatively new brand in the pet foods market. The company got its name from Blue, the dog, and the buffalo animal. The latter symbolized freedom and nature for the Bishops.
Blue Buffalo soon became popular in the market, thanks to its recipes to meet special dietary needs. Unfortunately, the company’s reputation also comes with some negatives. Among the competitors, Purina accused Blue Buffalo of false advertising.
Purina said the vitamin and mineral blend called LifeSource Bits, developed by Blue does not provide adequate micronutrients for dogs. Animal by-products and grains have reportedly been found on several occasions in Blue Buffalo products that should not have contained these ingredients in principle.
The popularity of Blue Buffalo was not helped because its products were mentioned several times in an FDA investigation looking for links between diet and Dilated Cardiomyopathy. (There were several reports on the case between 2014 and 2019).
The link between a grain-free diet and heart disease in dogs has not been confirmed since then. However, since then, experts have been wary of grain-free diets.
Despite the negative events mentioned above, Blue Buffalo is one of America’s most popular dog food brands. The company was acquired in 2018 by General Mills.
Top Product Lines of Blue Buffalo
Blue Buffalo offers 7 different product lines. In creating each product line, the manufacturer’s goal to create the healthiest recipe possible seems to be.
Almost every line includes wet as well as dry foods. Pates treats and biscuits are also available.
The first ingredient in dry and wet dog food is usually some meat or meat meal. Grain-free versions are available for dogs with sensitive stomachs, but grain-inclusive diets are also very good at Blue. The ingredients are natural, and we do not find any artificial preservatives, dyes, fillers, or other additives.
Recipes for several product families also include so-called LifeSource Bits. This is a very healthy blend developed by veterinarians and animal nutrition experts. They contain plenty of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to support dog health.
Below I will write about the Blue Buffalo product lines and review the most popular products in each product lines.
It’s no coincidence that I’m listing this product line first. This is because Life Protection recipes are trendy among Blue’s offerings.
The first ingredients in the products are usually real meat and they include fruits, vegetables, and a vitamin and mineral blend called LifeSource Bits. This way, you can be sure that you will provide all the necessary nutrients for your pooch if you choose this line.
Blue Buffalo promises that there are no fillers, meat by-products, or artificial additives among the ingredients.
The full Life Protection offering includes dry and wet foods, treats, pates, and sticks. The most common flavors are chicken, beef, lamb, and turkey. Dry and wet dog foods all contain healthy grains. There is also a grain-free product among the pies and treats.
Most recipes are developed for adult dogs. But you can also find puppy- and senior formulas. Life Protection line recipes are suitable for dogs of all sizes.
And now, here is Blue Buffalo Life Protection’s most popular product:
Deboned Chicken and Chicken Meal mainly provide the 24% protein content of the recipe. We even find Pea Protein among the ingredients. It’s not very good biological value, but I don’t consider it a problem since it’s ranked twelfth among the ingredients.
Chicken and Chicken Meal are excellent sources of protein that provide all the necessary amino acids for your dog. Also, the Meal form contains a lot of glucosamine and chondroitin. These two compounds play an important role in supporting the joints.
The main carbs are healthy grains like Brown Rice, Barley, or Oatmeal. These provide your dog with not only energy but also healthy fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
The 14% fat content is given by Flaxseed as well as Chicken Fat. Both are very valuable sources of omega fatty acids, so they positively affect the health of dogs’ skin and coat. Plus, Chicken Fat makes the food very delicious.
The product also contains fiber sources such as Dried Tomato Pomace or Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal. Fibers are responsible for the health of the digestive system.
LifeSource Bits developed by Blue can also be found in this product. This gives your pooch access to the necessary vitamins and minerals. Incidentally, the added fresh vegetables and fruits also help in this.
Prebiotics and fermentation products (Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product) support the digestive system and the overall health.
As its name suggests, the Wilderness product line was created to mimic the diet of wild wolves. So these products are grain-free and high in protein as well as fat. This will maximize the nutritional needs of your active dog.
The ingredients in the products are natural and do not contain wheat, corn, other fillers, by-products, or artificial preservatives or colors.
The product family includes wet and dry food, treats, and pate. Most recipes are made for adult dogs, but you can choose a puppy formula and senior dog food. Options are available for dogs of all sizes.
The LifeSource Bits blend can also be found in these foods. The most common flavors are chicken, beef, salmon, turkey, and duck.
You can see that it is really worth buying Blue Wilderness dog food as it meets the needs of most canines.
And now, here is Blue Buffalo Wilderness’s most popular product:
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is the perfect choice if you want to provide your dog with a high-protein healthy diet.
The main protein source is Chicken. This is delicious and nutritious meat with plenty of essential amino acids. Other protein sources are Pea Protein and Menhaden Fish Meal. The latter contains a lot of omega 3 fatty acids, which have a good effect on the health of the skin and coat and act as an anti-inflammatory.
The main carbohydrate sources are Peas and Tapioca Starch. So if your dog can’t eat grains for some reason, this recipe could be a great alternative.
A significant portion of the fats come from Chicken Fat and Flaxseed. This gives the food a very balanced omega fatty acid profile.
But the benefits of the product are not over yet. LifeSource Bits, along with added fruits and vegetables, make sure your dog gets the vitamins and minerals he or she needs. This recipe is highly recommended.
Another popular product in the Wilderness line is the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe. It contains beef and fish, so if your dog can’t eat chicken for some reason, this might be a good option. That is, check out the Wilderness Rocky Mountain recipe as well.
In addition to tapioca starch, it also contains pea starch.
There are several reasons why you may want to try a limited ingredient diet with your dog. The most common causes are various dog food allergies or a sensitive stomach.
In such cases, it is key to filter out inappropriate protein or carbohydrate sources. And this is easiest when the number of ingredients is minimal. Therefore, the Blue Buffalo Basics dog food product line is the perfect choice for dog food allergies.
Each recipe contains a single source of protein and few sources of carbohydrates or fats.
These dog foods are available in both wet and dry form. They do not contain wheat, corn, soy, or artificial additives.
The most common sources of protein in this line are turkey, lamb, and salmon. In addition to recipes for adults, puppy and senior formulas are also available.
And now, here is Blue Buffalo Basics’s most popular product:
The main source of protein in the recipe is turkey meat, which is nutritious and delicious. Also, it contains adequate amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin (due to the meal form).
If your dog is allergic to grains, there will be no problem with this formula. Carbohydrate sources are Potatoes, Pea Starch, Peas, Tapioca Starch, and Potato Starch.
Starches are not considered valuable sources of nutrients such as whole carbohydrates (potatoes). However, since proteins and plants trigger allergic reactions also contain protein, starches are good options for sensitive dogs.
Thanks to the good quality sources of fat (Canola and Fish Oil), the fatty acid content of the product is satisfactory. That way, you don’t have to worry about the health of your dog’s skin and coat.
As usual from Blue Buffalo, this recipe also includes a well-known vitamin and mineral blend called LifeSource Bits.
With the Basics product line, you may have seen that it is worth limiting the number of ingredients for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
But you may also need to look for grain- and gluten-free diet for your hypersensitive pooch. This is where the Blue Buffalo Freedom product line comes into play.
The main source of protein in these products is animal meat, and there are very few other proteins among the ingredients.
Carbohydrate sources are vegetables and legumes such as potatoes or peas, or possibly their starches.
Freedom products support the skin and coat of dogs (due to omega-3 fatty acids) and their joints (glucosamine and chondroitin).
Ingredients include a vitamin blend called LifeSource Bits, which has a good effect on overall health. The products do not contain harmful substances, fillers, or preservatives.
And now, here is Blue Buffalo Freedom most popular product:
The primary ingredient in the product and the main source of protein is chicken. It is also present in the form of real meat and meat meal. Meals contain a lot of glucosamine and chondroitin, so your dog’s joints will also be supported.
Grain-free carbohydrates may seem like a good choice for sensitivity. In this recipe, Potatoes, Peas, Tapioca Starch, and Pea Starch provide an all-day energy supply. In addition to their good digestibility, their other positive is nutrient density.
I should also mention fats. Chicken Fat and Flaxseed make your diet healthy and balanced. This is because they contain the essential fatty acids that every dog needs.
Additional benefits of this Blue Freedom grain-free dog food include added fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and minerals. This way, you can be sure that your dog’s health will be properly grounded.
Carnivora is an extraordinary product family. These recipes are very high in protein. Besides, many animal sources release this protein content (11).
The ingredients are gluten and grain-free. LifeSource Bits are not included in the products but are not required due to healthy internal organs and vitamin-mineral supplementation.
Wet and dry foods are available, and I strongly recommend these for working dogs for whom proper regeneration is essential.
Due to the quality of the ingredients, the recipes in the Carnivora product line are quite expensive. However, if you want to give your dog low-carb food, you may want to start here.
And now, here is Blue Buffalo Carnivora’s most popular product:
If your dog is a true meat lover (why not), then Carnivora products were developed for him. This product is a wet dog food with a moisture content of 87% given by the really mouth-watering Beef Broth.
The main source of protein is Beef, which is very nutritious meat. But it’s not just from this that your dog will get the essential amino acids.
Ingredients include meats like Lamb, Chicken, or Mackerel. But we also find internal organs, such as Pork Liver, Beef Tripe, Beef Liver, Lamb Liver, Lamb Heart, or Pork Heart. These are not only delicious but also extremely healthy. Egg Product is another source of protein with a very high biological value.
And that’s not all. The product already contains a lot of useful vitamins and minerals (thanks to the internal organs). However, the manufacturers also added these micronutrients to the recipe in supplement form.
Be sure to consider this product if you want to give your dog a little specialty.
The True Solutions product line includes four recipes. Each is available in both wet and dry form. These products meet special dietary needs but are not subject to prescription.
The diets alleviate mild problems and can prevent them from becoming more serious problems. These include digestive and joint problems, weight control, and skin and coat conditions.
Of course, in case of the problems mentioned above, be sure to consult your veterinarian. But as a starting point, Blue True Solutions products can be good.
And now, here is Blue Buffalo True Solutions’ most popular product:
Of course, it’s hard to compare True Solutions products and determine which one is the best. After all, each is designed to address or prevent other problems. However, based on data found on the Internet, the Blue Buffalo True Solutions Blissful Belly Digestive Care Formula proved to be the most popular.
This recipe contains ingredients that are easy to digest or even specifically support proper digestion.
Deboned Chicken and Chicken Meal are not only delicious but also great sources of essential amino acids.
Ingredients include grains such as Brown Rice, Oatmeal, and Barley. There are also Potatoes. Each of these is characterized by being highly digestible, rich in nutrients as well as fiber. The latter is very important for good digestion. Incidentally, the product also contains additional fiber sources (Tomato Pomace and Plain Beet Pulp).
The added prebiotics create the right environment for the beneficial bacteria, which is also beneficial for the health of the digestive system. So you can see that if your dog has tummy problems, you might want to consider this product.
Like the True Solution, the Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet targets a variety of health issues. However, these are prescription recipes, so be sure to check with your veterinarian before making a purchase.
The product line is designed to treat the following health conditions: gastro-intestinal diseases, kidney, and urinary diseases, overweight, mobility issues, and dog food allergies or sensitivities.
Natural Veterinary Diet products do not contain artificial additives, grains, wheat, corn, or soy.
It is clear that Blue was seeking the help of veterinarians and other experts in creating these recipes.
And now, here is Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet’s most popular product:
As the name suggests, this product is recommended for dogs who have some kidney problems. In such a disease, it is advisable to give your canine a low-sodium or low-phosphorus diet. It is also recommended to reduce the amount of protein in this case.
Well, the Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet KS Kidney Support meets all of these requirements to the maximum, so it takes the strain off your dog’s kidneys.
The formula is grain-free and does not contain any harmful or questionable ingredients. The 14% protein content is provided by the high-quality Deboned Chicken, which provides a maximum of the required amino acids.
Carbohydrate sources are well digested and do not cause sensitivities or allergic reactions. Among the ingredients are vitamins added and even L-carnitine. With this, we can really ensure the health of our dog.
Finding the best diet for your dog is not easy. You have to consider several aspects, e.g., activity, breed, age, health condition, etc. If you want to make the best decision possible, check out my comprehensive guide on how to choose the best dog food.
Blue Buffalo Dog Food Recall History
Blue Buffalo has been recalled many times since the company was founded. I will detail these below and the reasons, and I will also try to identify the sources.
You can also find out about pet food recalls currently underway here.
- 17th March 2017 / Cause: Potentially high beef thyroid hormone levels / Recalled product: Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Red Meat Dinner Wet Food for Adult Dogs, 12.5 oz. cans, UPC #840243101153, best by June 7, 2019
- 28th February 2017 / Cause: Problems with packaging quality (announced by PetSmart) / Recalled products: 17 of the Blue Divine Delights. Namely:
- Blue Divine Delights Filet Mignon Flavor in Gravy, UPC #84024312035
- Blue Divine Delights New York Strip Flavor in Gravy, UPC #84024312037
- Blue Divine Delights Prime Rib Flavor in Gravy, UPC #84024312039
- Blue Divine Delights Rotisserie Chicken Flavor in Gravy, UPC #84024312041
- Blue Divine Delights Pate Filet Mignon Flavor, UPC #84024312043
- Blue Divine Delights Pate Porterhouse Flavor, UPC #84024312045
- Blue Divine Delights Pate Grilled Chicken Flavor, UPC #84024312047
- Blue Divine Delights Pate Top Sirloin Flavor, UPC #84024312049
- Blue Divine Delights Pate Angus Beef Flavor, UPC #84024312051
- Blue Divine Delights Pate Roasted Turkey Flavor, UPC #84024312053
- Blue Divine Delights Pate With Bacon, Egg & Cheese, UPC #84024312057
- Blue Divine Delights Pate Sausage, Egg & Cheese Flavor, UPC #84024312059
- Blue Divine Delights Pate Steak & Egg Flavor, UPC #84024312061
- Blue Wilderness Trail Trays Duck Grill, UPC #84024312071
- Blue Wilderness Trail Trays Beef Grill, UPC #84024312073
- Blue Wilderness Trail Trays Chicken Grill, UPC #84024312075
- Blue Wilderness Trail Trays Turkey Grill, UPC #84024312077
- 13th February 2017 / Cause: Possible aluminum contamination / Recalled product: Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Healthy Weight, Chicken Dinner With Garden Vegetables, 12.5 oz. can, UPC #8-40243-10017-0, best by Aug. 3, 2019
- 31th May 2016 / Cause: Mold contamination (possible) / Recalled product: 30 lb. bags of Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Fish and Sweet Potato Recipe dog food, best by April 11, 2017
- 25th November 2015 / Cause: Potentially salmonella contamination / Recalled product: one lot of Cub Size Wilderness Wild Chews Bones, best by Nov. 4, 2017
- 8th October 2010 / Cause: Possible excessive vitamin D content / Recalled products:
- Blue Wilderness Chicken, 4.5 lb., best by JUL2611Z, JUL2711Z or JUL2811Z
- Blue Wilderness Chicken, 11 lb., best by JUL1211B
- Blue Wilderness Chicken, 24 lb., best by JUL1211B or JUL1311B
- Blue Basics Limited Ingredient Diet Salmon and Potato, 11 lb., best by AUG2111B or AUG2211B
- Blue Basics Limited Ingredient Diet Salmon and Potato, 24 lb., best by AUG2111B, SEP2311P or OCT2611P
- Blue Life Protection Formula Natural Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Large Breed Adult, 30 lb., best by SEP2211P, SEP2311P or OCT2611P
- 26th April 2007 / Cause: Melamine contamination (possible) / Recalled products: All Blue Buffalo Blue canned dog foods, dog treats, and Spa Select canned cat food produced by American Nutrition, Inc.
As you can see, the Blue Buffalo brand had several recalls. However, there is currently no ongoing recall for this dog food.
Related Dog Food Brand Guides:
- Blue Wilderness Dog Food Review
- Blue Basics Dog Food Review
- Farmina Dog Food Reviews
- American Journey Dog Food Reviews
- Eagle Pack Dog Food Review
- Purina Dog Food Review
- Supreme Source Dog Food Reviews
- Ziwi Peak Dog Food Reviews
- SportMix Dog Food Review
- Worst Dog Food Brands To Avoid
- Worst Dog Treats To Avoid
Real Customer Reviews
I think it is essential that all my reviews are fair and objective. For this, however, I like to consider more than just my point of view. The opinions of other real customers are just as important to me. Below I have compiled reviews for the most popular Blue Buffalo products. It will be both positive and negative to maintain objectivity as much as possible.
Customers are delighted with this Blue Buffalo dog food formula. Most dog owners say canines love this product and have a good effect on the health of their skin and coat. Also, they are more energetic and eat more, in a better mood. Many customers write that they switched from another brand (e.g., Purina) and did not regret the decision.
They love it
- I had to switch because of the recall of ProPac. Though this is more expensive I will buy this from now on. My one dog eats the whole bowl when we feed him. Never leaves any for later like he use to. Hoping he loses some weight. LOL
- I don’t know if it is my imagination or not, but my dog does not shed near as much since I started working Blue Buffalo food into her diet. She likes to sleep in bed with us, and the hair is almost non existent now.
Great quality brand
- Our Hercules loves this brand and flavor. We have tried to switch him many times and he never likes anything else but blue Buffalo. Quick and easy shipping. Chewy makes it easy for our busy schedule.
Great for their fur!
- We have had Gabby on a raw food diet for a couple of years. When we got a puppy we decided to change her food and try something new. Wow! after a month on Blue Buffalo her fur is so shiny. I swear it has filled out and gotten softer. She is a pitbull so her hair is pretty thin. But everyone has commented on how soft and shiny it is. Both her and the puppy are healthy and love the food.
Not many complaints come to this formula. One of the kinds of negative reviews is that picky dogs don’t eat it. Another kind that I found tends to be certain quality deficiencies. Fortunately, there are very few of these.
- My dog eats the kibble well enough but as others have stated, not only will not eat the tiny dark pellets but scatters them all over the dark carpet and I am constantly stepping on them. For this reason alone, this will be my last bag. I actually take the time to pick out most of the pellets but that is a pain. There is no benefit to the dog no matter how good the ingredients are if he won’t eat them. Can someone recommend a similar product without the pellets?
- There was something added this time. Looked like peppercorns but not sure what they are. My dog won’t eat it. She always liked it before.
It’s a no from me
- I recently adopted a new dog and refused to feed her the nasty dog food her previous owners were feeding her. I got this brand because the reviews were great. My dog, however, refused to eat this. So the hunt for a good quality dog food that she’ll actually eat is still on.
Not worth the hype
- My pup does not like this food, she will not eat it, even if she is starving she would rather not eat then eat this. Very strange never had her react to a dog food like this before. Switched her food to Wellness and she loves it. Won’t buy this brand again.
This formula of Blue Wilderness is very popular. 85% of the reviews are 5 stars, which is considered very good. According to most dog owners, this recipe promotes the health of the coat and skin of canines. However, many dogs love the taste this product provides. It also has a positive effect on stool quality.
Thank You So Much
- Our dog Brooky was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. The vet put her on a prescription food but she just didn’t seem herself. Long story short the prescription food was changed and a friend told us their dog who was also diabetic and was on Blue grain free. Brooky’s coat is shiny, she has more energy, and she acts like our sassy girl once again.
Dogs love it
- My dogs love this food! I slowly started working it in and their old food out which worked well. I even noticed their stool was more solid when I switched over completely. They absolutely love it, I am definitely going to buy more!
Almost Given up
- My dog has allergies and in addition, is a finicky eater. I’ve tried numerous brands and now we finally found a meal that she loves. Along with the turkey Meatloaf both my finicky pets love.
Yup – it’s a yes for me
- Ok, Logan loves it. My purebred shepherd wolfs this stuff down. If you tell me something is better for him and can back it up, I will switch him to it. I only get the best for my friend, and this is the best I know of right now
Like the previous product, there are negative reviews here too. These are mostly about small quality differences or LifeBits that dogs don’t eat.
- I have three dogs from 3lbs to 80 lbs and like this food except for the little blue balls an thinking they are blueberries they will eat them but only if I won’t fill dish until they do so I am sorry to say I won’t be buying blue buffalo in the future
Torture on bare feet.
- This regular-sized kibble also has tiny black Shotgun size pieces mixed in. They do not all get eaten. They cling to the dog’s lips. She sprinkles them all over the kitchen floor. And they are horribly painful on bare feet!
Hole in the bag.
- Nothing wrong with the dog food but when I opened the box the bag had a big rip in it and the food was spilling out in the box. I had to put some of it into the old smaller bag.
My pup is trying this out
- I decided to order this as a healthier choice in food for my pup. I realized what I was giving her previously had a lot of additives. She is loving it minus one thing, she picks out the smaller pieces of kibble and leaves them all over the place. Although I am happy with the brand, I will try a different type of dry food next time around.
A limited ingredient diet is usually bought for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies. Customer reviews also show that this formula meets the above-mentioned expectations very well. Also, the taste is delicious; many dogs like it. 87% of the reviews are 5 stars, which is quite impressive.
This Kibble Was A Game Changer!
- I have an Akita puppy. I was feeding him Blue Buffalo Large Breed Chicken & Rice Puppy Food. After several weeks, he developed chronic loose stools. I switched him to this kibble, and within one day he was normal, and has remained normal. My vet explained that large breed puppy foods are essentially adult dog food because they want to slow the growth, so large breed formulas don’t have as much protein as regular puppy food. That meant that switching to an adult dog food would not be a problem for my large breed puppy. And … he really like this new kibble more than he liked the large breed formula.
Great product, great service!
- My Corgi dog has a sensitive stomach and now eating Blue Buffalo Basics has solved his digestive issues. He also loves it along with a few bites of the canned same recipe. Highly recommend!
Appears to do “the trick”
- My collie appears to have allergies, the vet thus far has not been able to get this problem correct (chewing on her paws) I began adding this to her normal dog food, adding a bit more each day and I believe I see a difference, she “gobbles” this food up and have noticed the cat is sneaking in and appears to have also added this “treat” as well to her diet.
- I have a dog with severe allergies and I switched to Blue Buffalo and he’s doing great and loves the food.
There are not many complaints about this product. Some owners ’dogs don’t like the taste, and some canines have caused digestive problems. Fortunately, such negative reviews are quite rare.
My poodle sort of okay with it.
- Not sure what, maybe the taste but this one is not my dog’s favorite. Haven’t quite put a finger on it yet. But I think the taste is not enough for my dog.
Picky eaters will not eat
- My three picky Shih-tzus will not eat this formula. 🙁
too much fiber
- Our 10 year old Dobie/Hound mix enjoyed this food, but it made him incredibly gassy and gave him loose, bulky, airy stool. Too much fiber for our pooch (Alfalfa Meal).
As you can see, the perception of the three products reviewed above among real customers is quite positive. There is no perfect recipe, meaning certain formulas can cause problems for some dogs. But I recommend these three dog foods to you with a calm heart.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some common questions about Blue Buffalo dog food.
Is Blue Buffalo dog food bad for your dog?
Blue Buffalo is definitely not bad for dogs. Some suspect the company’s products do not contain what is written on the packaging. However, I believe that Blue recipes can meet the nutritional needs of every dog to the maximum.
Is Blue Buffalo good dog food?
Overall, Blue Buffalo is an excellent brand in the pet food market. Its products contain high-quality named protein sources and well-digested grains or grain-free carbohydrate sources. Moreover, the ingredients do not include gluten, wheat, corn, soy, or artificial additives. Value for money, Blue is one of the best options for dogs. Due to the wide range of products, you are sure to find the right recipe for your pooch.
Do vets recommend Blue Buffalo?
Some vets recommend, and some don’t recommend Blue Buffalo products. This varies from individual to individual, as each expert may have different experiences and opinions. But let’s not forget that the company’s products were developed with the help of veterinarians and animal nutritionists. Also, the brand has a line of Veterinary Diet products.
My Final Verdict About Blue Buffalo
As you can see from my article, Blue Buffalo is a great choice for dog owners who want to provide quality food for their pets. The brand’s wide range allows you to meet virtually any dietary need.
Judging products on the internet is pretty good. Most of the reviews are positive, with customers generally satisfied with Blue Buffalo. I myself have already given Blue Buffalo food to my dogs.
The company has received some recalls since its foundation. However, since General Mills, Inc. in 2018 bought it, I have seen that quality issues have been eliminated.
Based on experience and the quality of the ingredients, I clearly recommend Blue Buffalo dog food to all dog owners.