This is my detailed Blue Basics dog food reviews in 2021.
Blue Buffalo has become an increasingly popular brand in the pet food industry in recent years. It had many recalls in the beginning, but nowadays, this company has really become one of the leading options because of its premium ingredients.
The brand has several product lines, one of which is Blue Buffalo Basics. These products are famous for containing a limited number of ingredients and specifically contain what is indicated on the packaging.
I spent a long time figuring out if it was worth buying Blue Basics products. First of all, I can say that I recommend these dog foods.
However, I think you should also read my article because I will include useful information. I will also write in detail about the options offered by the product line.
More About Blue Basics
Blue Basics is one of Blue Buffalo‘s product lines. The Company was founded in 2003 by Bill Bishop in Wilton, Connecticut. Mr. Bishop’s main goal is to create the most natural and healthy recipes possible for dogs and cats.
Unfortunately, his dog named Blue, suffered from cancer. This is where the drive to develop the best products came from. Everyone at the company quickly realized that the type and quality of ingredients were key.
Therefore, they decided to omit questionable carbohydrates, meat by-products, and artificial preservatives and dyes from all dog food. Their products have real meat and wholesome vegetables and fruits.
All recipes were created with the help of veterinarians and animal nutritionists. Looking at the quality, it’s no wonder that Blue Buffalo is one of the most popular companies in the pet food industry today.
By the way, Blue has several product lines, and all of them are quite successful. I will deal with Basics in this article.
Blue Basics Dog Food Reviews
The Blue Basics product line has three options. One is dry kibble. The other is wet food. The third is treats. I will review one of these. Later, I will write about the options separately and list the recipes that belong to them. If your dog craves other flavors, you may want to check them out.
Best Blue Basics Dog Food Recipes
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Formula Salmon & Potato Recipe
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Lamb & Potato
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Formula Biscuits Turkey & Potato Dog Treats
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Formula Turkey & Potato Recipe
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Turkey & Potato
This is a deservedly popular Blue Buffalo product. Your online reviews are excellent on both Chewy and Amazon. Salmon is the primary ingredient and the main source of protein.
What is certain is that the company sticks to what it promises. What is written on the packaging, you will find the ingredients in the product.
The recipe includes LifeSource Bits typical of Blue food, which supports the overall health of dogs. Glucosamine supports the health of the joints, and omega fatty acids support the skin and coat’s health.
Most customer reviews are extremely positive. Dogs love this food and it has generally improved their health. This recipe is especially good for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies.
Because the formula in Blue Basics is changed frequently, many experts do not recommend Blue Basics. I, on the other hand, see no cause for concern based on experience.
Like other Blue Basics recipes, it has limited ingredients. This makes these foods suitable for sensitive dogs.
The primary ingredient and the source of protein is the lamb. Also, there is lamb broth and lamb liver in the dish. These are excellent animal resources. They are easy to digest and rich in nutrients.
Carbohydrate sources are potatoes, peas, and pumpkins. The product is reliable. What the manufacturer writes on the packaging is in it.
Most customer reviews are positive about the product. Buyers love that this dog food does not contain chicken meat. Especially good for dogs with sensitive stomachs and allergies.
Customers are satisfied with this product. It does not contain harmful artificial ingredients, and dogs love the taste very much.
Other Blue Buffalo Basics products
Of course, there is no way for me to review all Blue Basics products in this article. However, here are some of the most popular.
The primary ingredient and main source of protein in this dry food is turkey. It also includes pumpkin, fries, and peas. So this recipe is easy to digest and very nutritious. Thanks to LifeSource Bits, your dog gets all the important vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Ingredients of Blue Basics Products
In these dog foods, the manufacturer’s goal was to mimic the dog’s ancestors’ diet. Thus, meat is the primary source of protein, and grains cannot really be found among the ingredients. The number of ingredients is limited, which is absolutely appropriate for sensitive dogs.
The purpose of the limited ingredients is to filter out protein sources and especially carbohydrates that can be a problem in some dogs. This is because these sources often cause allergic reactions or sensitivities. The symptoms can be varied.
Now let’s take a detailed look at the ingredients contained in Blue Basics products.
Because dogs are biologically carnivorous animals, protein is the most important ingredient. Protein helps build and maintain lean muscle mass. In addition, it plays an important role in a lot of bodily processes. It is also responsible for the health of bones, joints, coat, and skin.
Basics products include protein sources such as Turkey, Salmon, Lamb, Duck. There is also one of these that can be discovered in the form of a meal. For example, Turkey meal and lamb meal. These protein sources are nutritious and healthy.
Some recipes also contain pea protein. This isn’t a favorite for me, but it shouldn’t be a problem if your dog isn’t sensitive to it.
Carbohydrates are not essential sources of nutrients for dogs. Nevertheless, they provide energy and also contain fiber, which is very important for healthy digestion.
Carbohydrate sources found in Basics products: potatoes, pumpkin, peas, barley grass. Potatoes are easy to digest but not very rich in nutrients. Pumpkin contains a lot of healthy fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Peas are also an excellent source of fiber. And Barley grass provides plenty of useful nutrients for dogs.
Omega Fatty Acids
Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids’ most important role is to promote dogs’ skin and coat. The sources of fatty acids found in Blue Basics dog food are flaxseed, canola oil, and fish oil.
Vitamins are responsible for a ton of bodily functions in the body. If dog food contains enough vitamins, it will positively affect your dog’s overall health. Blue Basics products are solid in this area. Each product contains added vitamins A, B, C, and D. Below, I have summarized which vitamins are good for what:
- Vitamin A: eyes, hair, teeth
- Vitamin-B1: utilizing carbs and protein
- Vitamin B2: skin and coat
- Vitamin B12: processing of carbs
- Vitamin B6: digestion
- Vitamin B9: cells
- Vitamin B7: metabolism and fatty acids formation
- Vitamin C: immune system and reparation
- Vitamin D3: bones, ligaments, tissues
Like vitamins, minerals have a good effect on bodily processes. They are involved in the functioning of organs, bones, muscles, and the immune system. The two most important minerals are calcium and phosphorus. These are added to dog food in the form of Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, and Dicalcium Phosphate.
Dog food options that Blue Basics offers
There are several options to choose from if you want to try Blue Basics products. Recipes include grain-free and limited-ingredient formulas.
The choice is also extensive in terms of taste. The source of protein, without exception, is always meat. Carbohydrate sources are always easy to digest. Examples are peas and potatoes, as well as pea fiber and pumpkin. They also contain fiber, which, of course, further promotes digestion.
Variations are usually found in both wet and dry forms. All recipes are available for puppies, adults, and seniors alike. As I mentioned earlier, none of the Blue Basics dog food contains corn, wheat, soy, dairy, by-products, or artificial ingredients.
All Blue Basics kibble versions contain a limited amount of ingredients. In addition, they do not contain corn, soy, and other questionable things. This also makes these recipes suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs. These recipes are healthy and provide a balanced diet for all canines.
- Turkey and Potato Recipe
- Healthy Weight Turkey and Potato
- Grain-Free Lamb and Potato
- Grain-Free Salmon and Potato
- Salmon and Potato
- Grain-Free Duck and Potato
- Grain-Free Turkey and Potato
You might want to check out the recipes because Blue Basics offers products for puppies, adults, and seniors alike. You can also buy dog
Basics wet options are good choices if your dog needs extra moisture or other texture. This is because dogs tend to find wet food more enjoyable. Like the dry kibble form, the number of ingredients in these products is limited. This is important because it reduces the chances of any allergies or sensitivities.
- Grain-Free Duck and Potato
- Grain-Free Turkey and Potato
- Grain-Free Lamb and Potato
- Whitefish and Potato Recipe
Blue Basics Treats
Blue Buffalo Basics Recall History
The Blue Buffalo brand has been recalled nine times so far. However, none of these recalls applied to Basics.
Real Customer Reviews
I always like to include customer reviews in my articles about brands. Below you can see some positive and negative reviews about Blue Basics products. Each is from Chewy’s website.
- We tried the canned food which is the same formula as the dry food. Our dogs were becoming less than enthusiastic about mealtime with the dry kibble so we tried mixing it with the canned food and voila, they are now very enthusiastic about eating again. I guess the old adage that dogs don’t mind eating the same thing everyday is not necessarily true.
Even smells good…. 🙂
- My dog is pretty easy to please to be honest however she has a condition “megaesophagus.” This requires moist soft nutritious meals in addition to the mechanics of eating in a special chair or other accommodation to help food go down easily. With Blue Buffalo products I feel she is getting nutritious food. This turkey & Potato Limited Ingredient is a winner in our house. She loves it, it is moist, soft, goes down easily and even smells good! I would think even a finicky eater would love it.
- I use this as a topper. Not in my opinion the best ingredients but better than a lot of others. Our dogs have gotten bored with it very quickly.
Dogs love it
- I have one dog who is a picky eater. She seemed to enjoy this one better than the other Basic ones I’ve purchased in the past. My other dog deals with allergies and I’ve noticed since switching to this food, his hot spots on his stomach have cleared up tremendously.
- It’s Blue Buffalo!! Of course it is good. I never had a bad experience with it. You get what you payed for. My Basset has had trouble with chronic gastro enteritis and since they have to have a grain free diet this has worked.
Trial and error
- We are trying to figure out a good food for our pup as he has a sensitive tummy. So far it hasn’t helped too much with tummy troubles although he has been in the process of gradually switching him off his old food.
great treat, no chicken!
- It’s so hard to find a truly chicken free treat out there. I’ve found that my dog is allergic to chicken and beef (good times)so we’re left with salmon, organs and pork for fat and protein. Thankfully I can count on this brand to have what I need. I like that these are limited ingredients and my baby loves the crunch. I do wish they were bigger but that’s because my baby is greedy and spoiled.
Great LID Treat!
- We recently switched our pup to a LID diet and this was the first treat we tried. She seems to love them and they are the perfect size for her 10lbs. We will buy them again.
Worked for my sensitive dog
- My dal mix has a food sensitive skin allergy. He wasn’t sensitive to these and seemed to love them. They were a little small in size though for my 80 lb dog.
Alternatives to Blue Basics dog food
Blue Buffalo Basics products look very positive to me. However, I’ve put together some brands that can be an alternative for you based on ingredients. If your dog doesn’t like Basics products for some reason, try these.
Frequently asked questions about Blue Basics Dog Food
Is Blue Basics a good dog food?
Blue Basics dog food recipes are of excellent quality. I like that the recipes contain a limited amount of ingredients, making them suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs. In addition to real meats, meat meals are also found in these products, which somewhat spoils the overall picture. Dog Food Advisor has given a 3-star rating to Blue Basics products. I give it a strong 4 star for this line.
Is Science Diet Better Than Blue Buffalo?
Hill’s Science Diet contains less protein than Blue Buffalo. The difference is about 6%. This is true for both dry and wet foods.
Is Blue Buffalo dog food made in China?
Blue Buffalo is not made in China but in the US. Most of the ingredients also come from the US. But there are meats, such as rabbits, that are sourced from Europe.
Is Blue Wilderness dog food the same as Blue Buffalo?
You should know that Blue Wilderness products belong to the Blue Buffalo brand.
How Are Blue Buffalo Products Different From Other Healthy Pet Foods?
In addition to the fact that Blue pet foods contain natural, delicious, and healthy ingredients, they also contain a formula called LifeSource Bits®. It is a very healthy blend that contains vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals.
My final verdict about Blue Basics Dog Food
Based on my own experience and other customers, I can say for sure: Blue Buffalo Basics products are great. The quality of the protein, carbohydrates, and fat sources used is impeccable.
Thanks to the limited ingredients, dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies can also consume these recipes. Besides, this product line offers the right food for dogs of all sizes and ages.
Blue Buffalo is true to its promises. What you see on the packaging is in dog food. If you also like these products based on my article, consider trying one on your dog.
I wrote a comparative article about Wellness and Blue Buffalo. If you are interested, be sure to read it.