If you want to know, which is the best dog shampoo for Pitbulls, this will be your ultimate buying guide. I chose Healthy Breeds Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo For Pitbulls as the most useful one, however, there are other awesome products on my list.
And if you want to know more about the topic, you can see more useful information in my article.
The Pitbulls have a pretty bad reputation. However, anyone who is more familiar with this breed can tell you that these dogs want the same as the others. They long for love and want to belong somewhere. Deep in their hearts, they are also sensitive.
The thing is, their skin is also quite sensitive and can be problematic. A shampoo designed for Pitbulls comes in handy in situations like this. In my article, I have collected the best products. You may want to consider all of these, as some have been developed for different purposes.
For the rest of my article, for example, I’ll talk about the different skin conditions that Pitbulls are prone to. I also included other interesting things in it, so you might want to read on.
- Product table for the best Pitbull shampoos
- What are the best dog shampoos for Pitbulls?
- Healthy Breeds Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo For Pitbulls
- Burt’s Bees Tearless 2-In-1 Puppy Shampoo
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Dog Shampoo
- Pro Pet Works Hypoallergenic Oatmeal Pet Wash Shampoo
- Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo For Dogs
- My pick
- What to look for when choosing the best dog shampoo for Pitbulls?
- What are the benefits of Pitbull shampoos?
- What are the different types of shampoos for Pitbulls?
- The most common Pitbull skin problems
- Tips for bathing your Pitbull
- Frequently asked questions about the best dog shampoo for Pitbulls
Product table for the best Pitbull shampoos
What are the best dog shampoos for Pitbulls?
With so many dog shampoos out there, it’s hard to find the best one. I compiled a list based on the needs of the Pitbulls. In the end, I choose my favorite but be sure to check out the other products as well. It is possible that your Pitbull has different needs.
Healthy Breeds Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo For Pitbulls
The image on the product is not a coincidence.
This shampoo has been specially developed to meet the needs of Pitbull skins.
Healthy Breeds Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo for Pitbulls consists of natural ingredients. Examples are chamomile, calendula, and fir needle oil. These are guaranteed to have a calming effect.
Colloidal oatmeal and aloe vera hydrate and regenerate the skin of Pitbulls. So this premium quality shampoo cleanses and conditions at the same time, while hydrating and supporting the production of natural oils.
Thanks to the natural ingredients, it can be used with flea and tick control products. What’s even more, you get a 100% satisfaction guarantee on this shampoo from the manufacturer.
Burt’s Bees Tearless 2-In-1 Puppy Shampoo
I definitely wanted to include this shampoo on my list.
Because if you have a Pitbull puppy, this is the best choice on the market.
Burt’s Bees Tearless 2-in-1 Puppy Shampoo contains gentle and natural ingredients. These will help keep your puppies skin and coat fresh and clean. All this without harmful chemicals.
Ingredients include buttermilk, which soothes and softens the skin. And honey hydrates perfectly and has a good effect on hair follicles.
The shampoo is pH-balanced, developed for the skin of Pitbull puppies. It does not contain colorants and sulfates, and all of this will not hurt your dog’s eyes.
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Dog Shampoo
This shampoo is not specifically for everyday use, but there is a reason it is on my list.
This is a medicated shampoo that is worth using for inflamed skin.
Ingredients include coal tar, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur. They can help you treat a lot of skin problems. Examples include seborrhea and various infections.
Despite being effective against skin problems, this shampoo is very gentle on the hair and skin of Pitbulls. Oatmeal and allantoin are guaranteed to have a calming and moisturizing effect.
The shampoo is effective and works very quickly. You should use it 2-3 times a week at first and then reduce the frequency as your dog’s skin condition improves. The shampoo does not contain any dangerous ingredients, but it is recommended for use on dogs older than 12 weeks. Consult your veterinarian.
Pro Pet Works Hypoallergenic Oatmeal Pet Wash Shampoo
The next member on my list is a hypoallergenic shampoo.
This is useful if you have a dog with sensitive skin.
Pro Pet Works Hypoallergenic Oatmeal Pet Wash Shampoo is made in the USA and contains only natural ingredients. Aloe vera and almond oil soothe and hydrate dogs ’skin.
The product does not contain alcohol, sulfates, chemicals, and added fragrance. The added vitamin E, on the other hand, has a good effect on the skin and hair.
The shampoo restores the production of natural oils, has a moisturizing effect, and relieves itching.
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo
This shampoo has also been developed for dogs with problem skin.
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo contains natural ingredients.
If your dog’s skin is constantly itchy, you will be satisfied with this product. Oatmeal and organic aloe vera restore the skin’s natural moisture. This relieves itching and irritation.
The product is 100% natural and free of phosphates and parabens. In addition, it is biodegradable. Thanks to the vanilla and almond scent, you will also love this shampoo.
Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo For Dogs
The last member on my list will also not disappoint Pitbull owners.
If your dog’s skin is constantly itchy and allergic, you may want to consider this shampoo.
Ingredients include safe essential oils that have a soothing effect on the skin. However, like previous products, it also has a moisturizing effect.
You can also use it with flea and tick control products. The shampoo is quite gentle, so its frequent application will not be a problem either. And the natural scent will be pleasant for both of you.
As you can see, there were many different shampoos on the list, for different purposes. If you are looking for the overall best Pitbull shampoo, I definitely recommend Healthy Breeds Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo For Pitbulls. If you don’t need specifically medicated shampoo, this will be the best choice for you.
Click here to get one for your Pitbull.
What to look for when choosing the best dog shampoo for Pitbulls?
In my list, you will only find products that I strongly recommend. However, I would definitely like to write a little about the selection process. You need to pay attention to the following while looking for the best shampoo for your Pitbull:
- Choose a dog shampoo: It may be clear to you, but I definitely consider it the most important aspect. Do not buy human shampoo for your dog. This is because these products contain fragrances, chemicals, and dyes that can harm dogs. Pitbulls are otherwise very sensitive to their skin and prone to various allergic reactions. I will write about this in more detail later.
- The product should contain natural ingredients: It is good if the product you choose contains natural ingredients. This is because the chances of irritations and allergic reactions are minimized.
- Hypoallergenic: This is similar to the previous point. However, hypoallergenic shampoos have been specifically developed for use by dogs with sensitive skin. In other words, these products will also be suitable for your Pitbull.
- Safe for puppies: If you have a Pitbull puppy, be sure to choose a shampoo that is safe for young dogs. That way you don’t have to worry about the skin of your Pit Pup.
- Moisturizing shampoo: If, in addition to the ones listed above, dog shampoo even has a moisturizing effect, you almost certainly don’t have to worry about allergic reactions. Moisturizing ingredients will help keep your Pitbull’s skin and coat healthy.
- PH balance: The pH balance of dog skin is different from that of humans. A properly balanced product has a pH of 6.5-7.5. This will help prevent dry or flaky skin.
What are the benefits of Pitbull shampoos?
If you manage to choose the best dog shampoo for Pitbulls by following the rules above, it can have many benefits. These are the following:
- You can rest assured that the right shampoo will be gentle yet effective.
- Thanks to the moisturizing ingredients, your dog’s skin will not be dry.
- There will be no ingredients that will cause irritation.
- Because these shampoos have a good effect on the skin, your dog will not bite, lick, or scratch himself excessively.
- These Pitbull shampoos have a good effect on the coat and skin. That is, they prevent dandruff, hair loss, infections, and allergies.
What are the different types of shampoos for Pitbulls?
Of course, if you go into the pet store to buy a dog shampoo, you will come across plenty of types. They may look similar at first, but you need to know that each one is different. You can choose from the following types of dog shampoos for your Pitbull.
- General shampoo: These shampoos have been developed for general and regular use. They effectively remove excess oil, dirt, and debris. They usually also contain moisturizing ingredients. This helps keep the coat and skin of the Pitbulls in good condition.
- Medicated shampoo: If your dog has any skin infections, a medicated shampoo can be helpful. These shampoos are antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-seborrheic. This way, they can treat almost any skin infection.
- Puppy shampoo: A lot of dog shampoos are recommended for dogs from the age of 8 weeks. This is no wonder, as a shampoo we want to use on puppies needs to be extremely gentle. If you have a dog younger than 8 weeks, get a dog shampoo specifically designed for puppies.
- Deodorizing shampoo: Dogs can be “smelly” in several ways. One reason for this is the natural oils found on their skin. This is completely healthy anyway. But if you don’t like that, you can buy a deodorizing shampoo to make your dog’s fur smell delicious.
- Flea shampoo: As their name suggests, these shampoos are effective against fleas. These are special shampoos and I definitely recommend that you consult your veterinarian before using them.
- Benzoyl Peroxide: It is also a special kind of shampoo. It is designed to treat skin conditions such as demodectic mange. Use these shampoos with care as they are very strong and stain everything.
As you can see, each type has its benefits, and you may want to use a different shampoo for each problem. If you are unsure which one to choose, ask your veterinarian.
The most common Pitbull skin problems
Because Pitbulls have a short coat they don’t require too much grooming. However, they are more prone to different skin conditions. These are the following:
- Skin allergies: Pitbulls can show allergic symptoms for a wide variety of things. Dust, excess dirt, food, fruits, etc. These are just a few examples. The two most important things are to figure out the cause and prevent your symptoms from getting worse in time. This is because allergic reactions can get worse over time and lead to skin infections and other serious skin conditions.
- Dry skin: Dry skin occurs occasionally in almost all dogs. This is a very common problem with Pitbulls. The cause can be many, such as food, the environment, or a poorly chosen shampoo. Choose a shampoo that doesn’t remove all the oil from your dog’s skin and helps retain moisture.
- Sensitive skin: Due to the short coat, the skin of the Pitbulls comes into more contact with external dirt and dust. This makes their skin extremely sensitive. Signs of sensitive skin may include redness or rashes and patches.
- Hot spots: Hot spots are usually hairless, itchy areas. Because of the short coat, Pitbulls are more prone to this. A lot of itching leads to a lot of scratching. This in turn results in open sores that can become infected.
- Sunburn: This can also occur due to the short coat, as long hair usually provides protection against the sun’s UV rays.
- Flea or tick bites: If your dog is scratching too much, you may want to examine his skin. Ticks and fleas can attack the skin at any time, so look for signs of this. Signs include red bite marks or spots.
Tips for bathing your Pitbull
It’s hard to predict how Pitbulls will react to bathing. Some like it very much, some hate it. In the latter case, you may want to bribe your dog with treats or some toys. You should start bathing your Pitbull at the puppy age. The tips below can help a lot.
- Brush your Pitbull before bathing. This will get rid of excess loose hair.
- Before starting the procedure, place a bath mat or towel on the bottom of the tub.
- Use a hand sprayer to moisten your dog’s coat. Avoid eyes and ears. This can take a while as Pitbulls have a smooth, somewhat coarse coat.
- Use a little dog shampoo. Apply it on your dog’s back, belly, tail, and legs.
- Be sure to rinse your dog thoroughly. Soap residue can help dry out the skin.
- Use a thick towel to soak up most of the moisture from your Pitbull’s coat.
- In warm weather, your dog’s coat will dry out soon. In autumn and winter, you can use a hairdryer on the low heat setting.