This is my detailed article about the best dog food for seizures in 2022.
If your dog has already suffered from seizures, then you also know very well how awful and terrifying that sight is. Proper diet plays a key role in reducing and preventing the condition.
I spent an entire day looking for the best dog food for seizures. I also enlisted the help of my vet acquaintances. I have concluded that Hill’s Prescription Diet l/d Liver Care is the best product for this occasion.
I also write about other products in my article. In addition, you can also find out what can cause seizures in dogs and what steps you can take to prevent and treat the condition.
What are the best dog foods For Seizures?
- Hill’s Prescription Diet l/d Liver Care
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Ultamino Dry Dog Food
- Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA Hydrolyzed Formula
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Natural Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe
- Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Grain-Free Recipe
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Chicken Recipe
- Nulo Freestyle Turkey & Sweet Potato Grain-Free Dry Puppy Food
- Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Turkey & Potato Formula
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Puppy Chicken & Turkey Recipe
- Zesty Paws Salmon Bites Skin & Coat Dog Supplement
10 best dog food for seizures
Below is a list of prescription and commercial dog foods. These can be appropriate supplements for seizure treatment. I have selected the products to provide your dog with the right nutrients, which are especially important for epilepsy. You must consult your veterinarian before making a final decision.
Hill’s Prescription Diet l/d Liver Care
- The first 5 ingredients are Brewers Rice, Pork Fat, Egg Product, Soybean Meal, Powdered Cellulose
- Helps reduce liver workload
- Helps maintain normal fat metabolism in the liver
- Helps avoid nutrient deficiencies
- Helps reduce the risk for struvite and calcium oxalate crystals
Liver dysfunction can have a lot of negative effects. These disorders can even affect brain function. Because of this, seizures can occur in dogs with liver disease.
Your canine will need immediate veterinary help in this case. Diets that support liver function are also helpful in treating the problem.
This prescription dog food protects the liver, so it will be able to regenerate. This enhances the delivery of nutrients to the right places.
This dog food has moderate protein content, but the source is of outstanding quality. The liver will, therefore, not be stressed and will be able to regenerate to the maximum.
The recipe includes a formula called S + OXSHIELD that is guaranteed to prevent a lack of important nutrients. This will improve your dog’s condition and have a good chance of reducing the frequency and severity of seizures.
As this is prescription dog food, be sure to consult your veterinarian before purchasing.
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Ultamino Dry Dog Food
- The first 5 ingredients are Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Poultry By-Products Aggregate, Coconut Oil, Vegetable Oil, Natural Flavors
- It’s formulated specifically for adult dogs with food sensitivities
- Helps to reduce skin and GI reactions
- Contains fibers and prebiotics
- Contains B vitamins, amino acids, and omega-3 fatty acids
I really like that if I am looking for dog food for any problem, Royal Canin will have one for that.
Various allergens are common causes of seizures in dogs. For this reason, it is worth choosing a dog food that contains a few questionable ingredients as possible. The Royal Canin Veterinary Diet is the perfect choice for this.
Ingredients include highly digestible proteins, omega fatty acids, and prebiotics. Thus, this formula maximally supports digestion, thus helping to treat seizures.
This dog food has been formulated to treat allergic reactions almost immediately. It is also suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs as it does not contain grains and gluten.
In short, if your dog’s seizures are related to some form of allergy, be sure to follow this recipe. Since it is a prescription diet, you should consult your veterinarian about it.
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA Hydrolyzed Formula
- The first 5 ingredients are Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein Isolate, Partially Hydrogenated Canola Oil, Coconut Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate
- Crafted in collaboration with nutritionists and veterinarians
- Features hydrolyzed protein
- Contains single high-quality protein source and single carbohydrate source
- Highly digestible
If you have a dog with seizures, this recipe is one of the best you can choose. It provides a balanced diet with all the essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
This dog food is proving to be useful in the treatment of various skin irritations and intestinal inflammations. This is important because these conditions can often be so severe that they cause seizures in dogs.
The ingredients are extremely high quality. The protein and fat content of the product is moderate, which greatly increases its digestibility.
If you’re looking for food for your dog due to seizures caused by allergic reactions and irritations, this is a great option.
Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Natural Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe
- The first 5 ingredients are Salmon, Chicken Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Dried Peas
- Contains wholesome fruits, vegetables, and omega fatty acids
- Free of grains, glutens, fillers, by-products, and artificial ingredients
- Fortified with essential vitamins and chelated minerals
- Made in the US
The following dog foods are not prescription but may be helpful in case of seizures. The first such dish is the Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Natural Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe.
Its nutrient composition is what really makes it good. In many cases, seizures are caused by inadequate nutrition. This dog food contains everything you need for your dog’s overall health and immune system.
The primary ingredient and also the main source of protein is salmon in this recipe. Not only is it delicious, but it contains a lot of healthy omega fatty acids, which can help reduce seizures. Chicken and chicken fat complement and make the product’s nutrient profile even more balanced.
Sweet potatoes are one of the best sources of carbohydrates for dog food. This is a perfect complex carbohydrate source and easy to digest. Does not cause sensitization or allergic reactions.
If you want to buy non-prescription dog food to improve your dog’s overall health and reduce seizures, be sure to consider this product.
Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Grain-Free Recipe
- The first 5 ingredients are Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chickpeas, Tapioca, Chicken Fat
- Suitable for small breed dogs
- An ideal balance of protein, fat, and calories
- Contains calcium, phosphorus, glucosamine, and chondroitin
- Free of grains, potato, corn, wheat, soy, by-product meal, and artificial ingredients
If you have a small dog, this product may be the optimal choice. Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Grain-Free Recipe contains all the nutrients that support the overall health of dogs.
The ingredients are as natural and unprocessed as possible. This greatly increases the digestibility and nutritional value of the recipe. However, it does not contain grains, corn, wheat, soy, and artificial additives.
Therefore, you can also forget about reactions caused by irritation and allergies. This is a recommended dog food for seizures.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Chicken Recipe
- The first 5 ingredients are Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Peas, Tapioca Starch, Menhaden Fish Meal
- Helps build and maintain lean muscle mass
- Contains glucosamine, chondroitin, and EPA
- Features antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- Free from by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, and artificial ingredients
The previous product was suitable for small breed dogs. The Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Chicken Recipe has been developed for large dogs who suffer from various health problems.
The nutrient profile of this food is ideal for the prevention and treatment of neurological problems. As it contains all the useful and essential nutrients, be sure to consider this when looking for dog food for seizures.
High levels of protein, glucosamine, and chondroitin ensure heart, nervous system, and joint health. Protein sources are of outstanding quality and highly digestible. Dog food not only tastes good but is also suitable for treating seizures due to the nutrients it contains.
Nulo Freestyle Turkey & Sweet Potato Grain-Free Dry Puppy Food
- The first 5 ingredients are Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Salmon Meal, Chickpeas, Chicken Fat
- Made with low glycemic index ingredients
- Contains 80% animal-based proteins
- Contains vegetables and fruits
- Fortified with Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
Proper brain and nervous system development are key in puppies. This formula helps with that. Due to its excellent nutrient balance and EPA and DHA content, it maximally supports dogs’ overall health and nervous system.
With proper brain development, the risk of seizures can be greatly reduced. Also, Nulo Freestyle Turkey & Sweet Potato Grain-Free Dry Puppy Food is very well digested and delicious. I recommend it highly.
Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Turkey & Potato Formula
- The first 5 ingredients are Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Potatoes, Peas, Dried Ground Potatoes, Tomato Pomace
- Features a single source of protein and easily digestible carbohydrates
- Contains omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics, and taurine
- Free of wheat, corn, soy, gluten, or artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors
- Made in the US
Dog food with limited ingredients is generally effective in treating and preventing seizures. This is because the few but high-quality ingredients mean fewer allergies or intolerances. This is because they are often associated with seizures in dogs.
This product guarantees all the necessary nutrients for your dog to the maximum. Besides, it promotes overall health, including nervous system health. Be sure to consider this dog food.
Wellness CORE Grain-Free Puppy Chicken & Turkey Recipe
- The first 5 ingredients are Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Lentils, Peas
- Smaller kibble size for easy eating
- Features advanced nutrition
- Supports healthy growth and development as well as lean body mass
- Contains antioxidants, probiotics, vitamins, minerals, glucosamine, taurine, and omega fatty acids
This product contains all the ingredients that are suitable for treating seizures. Chicken and turkey are not only delicious but also well digestible and nutrient-dense. Digestibility plays a key role when we want to choose the right dog food for our dog.
DHA has an extremely good effect on brain function. This is also an important consideration if our puppy has nervous system problems. Be sure to consider this WELLNESS product.
Zesty Paws Salmon Bites Skin & Coat Dog Supplement
- The first 5 ingredients are Omega-3, Omega-6, Omega-9, Flaxseed Meal, Salmon
- Keeps dogs’ skin and coat healthy
- Good for the brain health
- Contains Biotin
- Made in the US
The last product on my list is not dog food but rather a dietary supplement. However, you should definitely consider it. As I mentioned, omega fatty acids are beneficial in treating seizures. Zesty Paws, in particular, contains many extremely high-quality such fatty acids. This is due to the Salmon meal and Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil ingredients.
Finding the best diet for your dog is not easy. You have to consider several aspects, e.g., activity, breed, age, health condition, etc. If you want to make the best decision possible, check out my comprehensive guide on how to choose the best dog food.
Buying guide for the best dog food for seizures
It’s hard to describe how scary it can be when your dog has a seizure. Unfortunately, seizures are challenging to manage fully. In addition to medication and supplemental treatment, dietary changes can significantly improve dogs’ conditions. With proper attention, the frequency of seizures can also be reduced.
Seizures can have several types and triggers. This is one of the reasons why treatment is difficult. It is crucial that whenever your dog has a seizure, call your veterinarian immediately.
In this buying guide, I want to help you know what to look for when choosing dog food for seizures.
More about seizures in dogs
Seizures usually occur in dogs when some momentary disorder develops in the brain. There are several reasons for this, which I will write about below.
Whatever is in the background and whatever the proper treatment, veterinary help is essential. An expert should make an accurate diagnosis. Only then think about diet change. This is because different causes may require other diets.
Causes of seizures in canines
The following reasons may be behind the seizures:
- Epilepsy: It is a mostly inherited condition and a common cause of seizures. There are three types of epilepsy. In idiopathic epilepsy, the exact underlying causes cannot be known. Experts suspect genetic traits and environmental effects. It usually occurs in young dogs. Some physical change in the brain causes structural epilepsy. This may be the result of a tumor or infection. Reactive epilepsy is a response to certain stimuli. This can happen, for example, in the case of poisoning.
- Genetics: Seizures often occur in dogs for genetic reasons. Some breeds are unfortunately more prone to this condition. Examples include Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, and Beagles. Of course, I’m not saying that if you have dogs like that, they’ll definitely have seizures. However, it does not hurt to pay more attention to their diet.
- Infections: Some infections can cause seizures in dogs. Examples are various viral or parasitic infections, rabies, or toxin.
- Injury: Very severe head injuries can often trigger seizures in dogs. This condition does not necessarily occur immediately after a head injury. For this reason, I recommend that you examine your dog thoroughly if any accident occurs to him.
- Hypoglycemia: Hypoglycemia means abnormally low blood sugar. This can lead to delayed reaction times, lack of energy, and even seizures.
- Problem with the liver: The role of the liver in the body is critical. Any failure or abnormality in its operation can cause serious problems, even seizures. A liver-protective diet is essential in this case.
- Problem with kidneys: Abnormal kidney function can result in many body processes that can lead to seizures.
- Heart problems: Severe heart problems such as stroke and spasms can cause seizures in dogs.
Understanding the underlying cause is the key to effective treatment. Discuss with your veterinarian the options, medication, and possible dietary changes. A proper diet can help reduce the frequency and severity of seizures in dogs.
Dietary recommendations for dogs with seizures
- Prescription Diet: In most cases, veterinarians recommend a prescription diet for seizures. Medication often puts a lot of strain on liver function and can have side effects. For this reason, these prescription diets are designed to have a protective effect on the liver. It is also a good idea to choose hypoallergenic foods, contain potassium bromide, and are salt-free.
- Ketogenic Dog Diet: The ketogenic diet is based on high fat and protein and shallow carbohydrate content. Studies show that this is a healthy alternative for dogs. Carbohydrates are not essential nutrients for them, and many health problems occur due to carbohydrates. During the ketogenic diet, a process called ketosis takes place. In this case, the body does not use glucose from carbohydrates but ketones from fat as an energy source. The ketogenic diet is also effective in people with epilepsy. The results are similarly positive for dogs.
- Protein-rich diet: This is similar to a ketogenic diet. That is high protein and fat and low carbohydrate intake. It’s more like a natural diet for dogs anyway, so it’s very healthy. A raw food diet can be a good choice for dogs due to the low carbohydrate and high protein-fat content.
Related Health Based Dog Food Guides:
- Best Dog Food To Prevent Gas
- Best Dog Foods For Arthritis
- Best Dog Food For Allergies
- Best Dog Food For Acid Reflux
- Best Dog Food For Bladder Stones
- Best Dog Food For Less Poop
- Best Dog Food For Liver Disease
- Best High-Calorie Dog Food
- Best Dog Food For Urinary Health
- Best Tasting Dog Food For Picky Eaters
- Best Puppy Foods For Sensitive Stomach
What to Look for in the Best Dog Food for Seizures
Your veterinarian will know what to look out for when buying dog food. However, it doesn’t hurt if you also learn about the different aspects.
Seizures are usually associated with some kind of nutrient deficiency or energy supply problem in the brain. Therefore, the right recipe should be sought based on these. Natural, balanced, and wholesome dog food is the only right solution.
Consider the following when looking for dog food for seizures:
- High-quality ingredients: Properly chosen diet is a great help in treating this condition. Choose dog food produced by the most popular manufacturers. Always look at the ingredients and make sure they are high-quality and provide all the nutrients your canine needs.
- Animal protein: Dogs are biologically carnivorous animals. This means that for them, real meat is the best possible source of protein. This will provide them with all the essential amino acids needed for all bodily processes.
- Animal fats: As I mentioned, a ketogenic diet has an excellent effect on dog health and seizures. Choose a dog food that is rich in healthy animal fats for dogs. Animal fats have a good effect not only on overall health but also on neurological functions.
- Omega fatty acids: Omega fatty acids (especially omega-3) help dogs with seizures. Choose a dog food that contains such fatty acids.
Are there any natural treatments?
The above dietary advice and your veterinarian’s diet or medication can greatly improve your dog’s condition. Besides, there are some other natural treatments you can use for seizures.
- Fatty acids: You may want to buy dog food that contains a variety of essential fatty acids. However, you can also buy them in the form of supplements. These can be very effective in treating seizures.
- Medicinal oils: Certain essential oils have a calming effect on your dog and reduce seizures and cramps. However, there are essential oils that are dangerous for dogs, so you might want to look into the subject.
- Taurine: Taurine is an amino acid that affects brain function, among other things. It can reduce the frequency and severity of seizures.
- Choline: Choline plays an important role in maintaining the health of the nervous system. It has an anti-inflammatory effect and helps deliver nutrients and energy to the brain. Be sure to try choline supplementation if your dog has seizures.
Frequently asked questions about dog foods for seizures
What do you feed a dog that has seizures?
Hill’s Prescription Diet l/d Liver Care provides your dog with a diet that helps treat epileptic dogs. Of course, you should not forget about the medication prescribed by your veterinarian.
How can I treat my dog’s seizures naturally?
There are natural home remedies that are effective in treating seizures in dogs. Examples are essential fatty acids, essential oils, homeopathic oils, acupressure, melatonin, honey, and the like. Of course, keep in mind that these are just complementary treatments. The most important thing is to consult your veterinarian.
What can trigger seizures in dogs?
There can be several triggers for seizures in dogs. Examples are various infections, head injuries, hypoglycemia, liver problem, kidney problem, heart problems. Seek expert help in making the diagnosis.
How can I prevent my dog from having seizures?
The most effective way to prevent your dog from having seizures is to eliminate or avoid triggers. The most important basis for this is a healthy and balanced diet. Do not miss regular veterinary checks.
Does honey help dogs with seizures?
If your dog has seizures caused by hypoglycemia, honey can help a lot. The point is to restore normal blood sugar levels. With some protein sources, it will be easy to keep this blood sugar level stable.
What is the best medicine for seizures in dogs?
The primary treatment is potassium bromide or Phenobarbital. Also, Zonisamide and Keppra are effective. Of course, keep in mind that only your veterinarian has the right to recommend medical supplements to your dog.
How many seizures is too many for a dog?
Basically, every seizure is an indication that something is seriously wrong and needs to be addressed. If your dog has several seizures in a row or one seizure lasts more than 5 minutes, call your veterinarian immediately. Three or more seizures within 24 hours are also considered an emergency.
How will a dog act after a seizure?
After seizures, dogs may be disoriented. Signs of this include behavioral changes, drowsiness, confusion, eating disorders, or temporary blindness.
Is a seizure painful for dogs?
Your dog may look confused and panicked, but the condition isn’t painful. However, some external factors can cause pain, so you need to be extra careful if your dog has a seizure. Since they lose control over their body movement, there’s a chance they accidentally get hit by the items around the house. Immediately remove everything around them so they do not fall or get hurt.
Are there different types of seizures in dogs?
We distinguish four types of seizures in dogs. A generalized seizure is caused by abnormal electrical activity in the brain. This can take up to a few minutes, and the dog usually loses consciousness.
A focal seizure is also caused by abnormal electrical activity in the brain, but only one area is affected.
In the case of psychomotor seizures, dogs may exhibit strange behavior. An example is an attack on non-existent objects. It isn’t easy to notice this condition as it can cause a wide variety of behaviors.
The causes of idiopathic epilepsy are unknown. Some breeds are more prone to this condition. Examples include Border Collie, Labrador Retriever, and Australian Shepherd.
What to do if my dog is having a seizure?
The key is to stay calm. Try to ensure that the surrounding area is not a risk of injury to your dog. Avoid stroking your dog, and do not put anything in his mouth. Wait for the attack to end. Use a damp cloth to keep his body cool and check his cognitive functions. Your speech and supportive voice can help a lot.
Can allergies cause seizures in dogs?
Because diet plays a key role in developing seizures, various food allergies can also cause this condition.
Can a dog have a seizure during sleeping?
Experience has shown that ninety percent of seizures occur during sleep in dogs. The reason for this is still unknown.
Are senior dogs more prone to seizures?
Seizures are less common in senior dogs. However, this does not mean that you do not have to monitor the health of your old four-legged friend. Some diseases can trigger seizures more often, even in elderly dogs. These include kidney failure, liver disease, tumor, and poisoning.
Summary and verdict
Seizures can be quite complicated and scary in dogs. Based on the information above, I am confident that you can plan the next step. It would be best if you worked with your veterinarian to find the right treatment and diet.
I found Hill’s Prescription Diet l/d Liver Care to be the best prescription dog food for seizures. The point is to try to ensure perfect health for your canine with the best possible recipe.
Click here to get this product on Chewy.