Are grapes safe for dogs? From my detailed 2022 guide, you can find out the exact answer.
A lot of people love this juicy and tasty fruit. Also, raisins made from them are also delicious and can be a good addition to cakes, cookies, and pies. But what about dogs?
The thing is, dogs really like to eat human food. However, at the beginning of my article, I have to let you know that grapes and raisins are extremely dangerous for canines.
Below you can find out the cause of this, the symptoms of grape poisoning, and what to do when the trouble happens. I hope my article will help you take care of your puppy with even more responsibility.
The truth about grapes and dogs
As I mentioned above, grapes and everything made from them (raisins, wine, etc.) are dangerous to dogs. The same applies to grapes without seeds and peel, as well as to the juice.
You can eat as much of this majestic fruit. In fact, they are specifically healthy for you. They contain plenty of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. However, under no circumstances should you give your dog grapes.
The consequences can even be fatal (I’ll write about that later).
Why are grapes and raisins toxic to dogs?
Experts have done much research to find out why grapes and raisins are so dangerous for dogs. So far, no answer has been found. They examined different parts of the grapes and did not find any substance or compound that could cause the problem.
The researchers had several ideas about the exact cause of grape poisoning. One of these is a variety of fungi or mold. This is because these microorganisms are quite common in grapes. Studies have been conducted on a wide variety of grapes to rule out the possibility that mold or fungus may cause this kind of poisoning in dogs.
The issue of allergies was also examined. This is because dogs are allergic to certain fruits. However, the symptoms of grape poisoning are very different from allergic reactions.
Another possible explanation was the method of cultivation, more specifically the use of pesticides. However, grapes from different countries and different cultivation methods (organic or pesticide-treated) were also examined. The result was the same in all cases. Grapes are very toxic to dogs.
Another possible explanation would have been Salicylate. This aspirin-like compound occurs naturally in grapes. However, scientists have also ruled out the possibility that this substance would cause toxicity in dogs.
But you need to know one thing. Many dog owners use grape seed extract for arthritis in their dogs. Based on the observations, this has no side effects. Plus, seedless grapes are just as toxic as canines.
So there is a high probability that grape seed will not cause a problem for dogs. Of course, there is little research on the subject. Therefore, experts recommend that we also eliminate grape seeds from our dog’s diet or treatment.
Finding the best diet for your dog is not easy. You have to consider several aspects, e.g., activity, breed, age, health condition, etc. If you want to make the best decision possible, check out my comprehensive guide on how to choose the best dog food.
How many grapes are a problem for dogs?
You probably don’t want to hear the answer “it depends”. But something like that will be my answer.
Every dog is different, so there may be individual differences. In general, it can be stated that any amount of grapes or raisins is a potential source of danger.
It is possible that your dog ate a few grains of grapes or raisins without showing signs of poisoning. (I’ll write about the symptoms later.) But don’t be happy, you probably both were lucky.
Sometimes a dog gets sick from a piece of grape. It can also be observed that smaller-bodied dogs tolerate these fruits less well than larger-bodied ones.
But it would help if you did not forget that grapes and raisins are an increased risk factor for dogs. The best principle is zero tolerance, which is to eliminate them completely from your dog’s diet.
What are the symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs?
Not only the number of grapes that cause symptoms but also the type and severity of symptoms can vary from dog to dog. Below I have summarized the most common ones that you should pay attention to.
Vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain are the most common symptoms. These are signs that the body is trying to eliminate the substances that are causing the problem. These symptoms are often associated with loss of appetite, fatigue, weakness, or low energy levels. They usually occur within 6 hours after consuming the grapes.
Unfortunately, these are just milder reactions. Symptoms of kidney failure can also develop within 24 hours, which is a severe condition.
In this case, the dog has urination problems and drinks more than usual. Further vomiting, as well as dehydration, may occur. Of course, dehydration also has symptoms such as heavy panting, trouble breathing, dry mouth and nose, and light gums.
Kidney failure is, of course, the worst-case scenario, and you don’t necessarily have to worry about it. However, if your dog drinks more than usual without adequate urination, consult a veterinarian immediately.
Related “Can Dogs Eat” Guides:
What to do if my dog ate grapes?
The point is, you need to be fast, be there, and take action right away. This can be tricky because it is not certain that the grapes are consumed before your eyes. Also, the symptoms do not appear immediately and can be very similar to other poisonings. (Of course, immediate action is required in the event of any poisoning).
If you see that your pup has eaten grapes or raisins, contact your veterinarian immediately. You may want to call him to rule out or confirm the possibility of poisoning together.
He will likely induce vomiting, especially if consumed less than two hours earlier. After this, activated charcoal can be very effective. This is because this substance binds perfectly to the toxins, thus preventing absorption. This avoids or reduces the extent of organ damage.
Your veterinarian can perform urinalysis and blood work to assess for possible internal organ damage. In case of renal failure, fluid therapy is the only effective procedure.
These can probably be very frightening to you. However, as a result of treatment started on time, you should be aware that dogs have a high chance of recovering from a life-threatening situation.
After avoiding more serious complications and problems, keeping your dog under observation at the vet for 72 hours is advisable.
What are some safe and healthy fruits and vegetables for dogs?
Of course, there are basically safe and healthy fruits and vegetables for dogs. They contain a lot of useful vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that underpin the health of canines.
- Green beans
You will find a much more detailed list on the infographic below. Moreover, you will also find vegetables and fruits (including grapes) that are dangerous for dogs.
Frequently asked questions
I think I’ve touched on pretty much every possible aspect of the topic. However, you may still have questions. So let’s see the most common ones.
Can a single grape kill a dog?
You should know that even a single grape can be a threat to your dog’s health. Of course, this is mainly weight-dependent. The same number of grain grapes can probably have a much more severe effect on a Yorkie than a Labrador Retriever. If you have a big-bodied dog, you probably won’t be killed by a single grape. Nevertheless, be sure to avoid trouble.
What happens if a dog eats a grape?
Grapes and raisins are extremely toxic to dogs. After consuming grapes, dogs may have various symptoms of poisoning within 6 hours. These include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lethargy, and loss of appetite. Later, even kidney failure can occur.
How many dogs die from eating grapes?
More than half of dogs with acute renal failure die from eating grapes. But even in healthy dogs, in many cases, the consumption of grapes ends in death. The point is to eliminate this dangerous fruit from your dog’s diet by all means.
How long after eating grapes do dogs get sick?
The time of onset of symptoms may vary from dog to dog. However, vomiting and diarrhea usually occur within 6 hours of consuming the grapes.
In my article, we saw how dangerous grapes and all grape products are. The exact reason for this is still unknown, but I hope it will change in the future. The point is to try by all possible means to prevent your dog from consuming this fruit.
And if the problem has occurred, contact your veterinarian immediately.